Saturday 6 April 2013

To compete or complete?

Despite my nagging tendinopathy I ran the Llanbedr- Blaenafen fell race today.  16 miles, three major mountains, snow and melt water.  I knew that I wasn't going to do very well, but still entered, and once I got over the fact that I couldn't keep up actually had a good time.  But, it did beg the question - why enter a race?  I could've gone for a run in the same area on my own and had a good time, but instead I placed myself in a competition with no chance of success, especially given the fact I did quite well last year despite having whooping cough.
Why do we enter races?  Well, there is a buzz in an event that can't be replicated on your own - I ran with people and shared the run experience with them, and let's face it the organisers spent ages planning the route to save me doing it.  I also joined a tribe for a while, standing at the start joking about having to pee yet again, and being privileged to share a car to the start with a local fell running legend.  I don't think that is all there is, but it is clear that very often running is a social activity.
So, will I keep running in races, slowly drifting toward the back of the pack, or will my injury finally be defeated to let me take what I feel is my rightful place toward the front of the pack?  I still want to be a player - this is important for me.  My physical capability is still high (hamstrings excepted), and I love the feeling of moving fast over mountains.  Luckily my ever-supportive wife is convinced that with some effort and time, I will be restored to full power.  Faith.
Maybe I should take heed of our yoga teacher who said 'no matter what level you are at, it is all good'.

1 comment: