Saturday 10 August 2013

It's difficult to run while fighting off tears

Sometimes things don't go to plan, but instead they offer a new way of thinking.  I was due to go out for at least 6 hours today, but Karin has been knocked down hard by her chemo and I was very reluctant to leave her.  She has been unable to even get up out of bed even for something small like getting a drink of water and the thought of her laying there for 6 hours without being able to get what she needs put me off running at all.  I then came up with a plan; I would run for about 2 hours then go back and make sure she is OK.  As soon as possible I would go out and have another run, and so on.  This was quite exciting - she would be looked after and I wouldn't need to carry a days worth of supplies.
I hadn't reckoned on the difficulty of leaving the house again and again - it was so tempting to give up. However, I managed 30 miles in 3 legs, and actually I think that stop-start approach was good training:  I certainly have tired legs.  I also managed to make sure Karin was OK throughout the day and even prepared her a very quick lunch.
As I ran I pondered the natural extension of this type of running - how long could you sustain running for 2 hours, returning for 30 mins, then repeating?  I reckon I had one more slow run in me, although each run was getting shorter.  I must do some research on this as a training method.  I know back to back runs are popular for developing stamina - either two runs on the same day or one late one day followed by the other early next day - but does it compare with continuous running, which after all is what I do when racing.

Going back to the title, I also took my phone, some headphones, and a load of radio 4 podcasts.  I got used to listening as I went along; something I have avoided over the years.  Having speech was loads better than music as I could still hear environmental sounds through the words.
As I ran towards Failand on leg 3 I put on a podcast about Robert Wyatt singing Shipbuilding.  That song catches me every time, but hearing how it was written with some passionate analyses from a variety of people really pulled me up.  What a beautiful and profound song.  Elvis Costello said that when he finished the lyrics he knew it was the best song he had ever written.  So, I ran, sniffing to myself, and occasionally warbling to the snippets of the song they played.  Good job no-one was around.

Just to lighten things up I listened to Desert Island Discs with Stephen Pinker and some excellent debates about social policy - I do lead an exciting life!  My first day of running using podcasts was great - if I am in terrain that I don't know or in company I won't need any entertainment, but when on my own on familiar trails it was very welcome.

I am still a bit cautious about the 10 Peaks 40 mile race in 4 weeks, mainly due to not knowing how things will be at home, but I have had a good days running, and there is nothing wrong with that!

3 comments:

  1. I love running with my ipod. If you get bored of podcasts, I've found audiobooks keep my mind busy when I'm on the treadmill at the gym, might do the same for you! :) Though hopefully things will look up and you won't have to run familiar trails anymore! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post mark. I'd urge you to try the Nick Cave lecture he did on writing music inter-spersed with some of his songs. Great listening even if you're not a great fan (I am!!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can generally last for four hours without needing stimulation and always feel that I mustn't be distracted from the important task of pushing myself, but today was a 'hours of feet' day. Thanks Izzie and Chris

    ReplyDelete