Friday 29 May 2015

How to run

Over the last few years I have read loads of information about efficient running - some of it has been genuinely useful for me, other sources would have been useful twenty years ago, and some of it is useless!

However, some online resources are so good I just keep going back to them, and these are the ones I really want to share with people who ask me about running.  After a while you start to realise that certain key messages keep being offered by lots of resources, and I list these so they can be used as a checklist for anyone who wants to improve their running form.  There are some videos that are just plain inspiring as well.

I am very aware that most people don't want to research as much as me, and so I have listed resources in order of importance; if you want just one good resource watch the video by Mark Cucuzella and go no further.  If you enjoy it, read on down. Of course you may have your own running style or school of thinking about running form, but these have worked for me.  I am not professionally trained, or an expert other than having spent far too much time on the laptop when I should be out running, and I daresay other people will offer totally different viewpoints, but like I said, they work for me.

So, here we go!

The first is the following video - I can't find a better model of good running technique along with clear identification of key areas to focus on.  I know not many people want to run barefoot, and he does look scarily fast, but watch this a few times, memorise the messages and I promise you will be faster and more efficient.




This next video outlines some of the exercises that come from the Alexander Technique school of running.  It may not be a complete programme but it does give you an idea of this technique. I am interested in how similar the messages are to the first video.




OK - the next most important resource is the Kinetic Revolution website.  This is run by James Dunne and is a comprehensive resource for all sorts of exercises etc.  Click on 'Resources' for a million videos and discussions. You can sign up for a daily newsletter that usually includes a video on some exercise or another - I love it. The discussions are well-researched and I particularly like the way he starts with 'Hey team...' and ends with 'let me know how you get on'.  I sent him a question and he replied!  There is also a 30 day challenge, which I did start but failed to complete.


You can also be on his Facebook group - loads of ideas there



From these sources and a few others I have gleaned the following set of areas to focus on.  I wish I had known these years ago; perhaps I would be running injury-free now.

1.  Stand and run tall, straight body but leaning forward slightly.  Imagine a piece of string attached to the top of your head and pulling you up into the sky

2.  Active knee drive forward - look at Mark Cucuzella doing it

3.  Aim for short ground contact time, and run light.  Think about running on egg shells

4.  Core and hips need to be strong and flexible - James Dunne offers some excellent exercises; or go to yoga!  

5.  Strong Glutes.  Again, look at Kinetic Revolution, but actually a good running stance will activate the glutes more effectively anyway.

6.  180 steps per minute - I have a metronome app on my phone.  This feels quite fast and you may not manage it, not everyone works at 180bpm.

7.  The leading foot needs to land under your mass, not in front.  You should hit the ground with a slightly bent knee and avoid a long stride out front that casues you to recoil against the direction you are trying to travel.

8.  Heel-striking is so 1980's!  Aim to land on the mid-foot and roll onto the fore, driving off with the ball of the foot.

9. Elbows bent at 90 degrees, slightly diagonal (nip to hip!), and driving the arm back like a sort of chopping motion.  

My advice to anyone starting running would be to choose one of these points to work on rather than all at the same time.  Go for a technique run once a week where you concentrate on running form.



So, visualisation and conditioning - when out running you will run like you think you should run.  If you visualise Stallone in Rocky with that boxer's shuffle and Eye of the Tiger playing, that is how you will run.  Instead, look at the first video and memorise the feeling.  Or watch this;




Yeah yeah, I know he is the fastest man in the universe, but who better to learn from?

Ok - inspiration;

Vertical Kilometer - how mad do you have to be?  Kilian Jornet gets beaten in this vid;



Barkley 100 - why would you?




I read Bernd Heinrich's book years ago - he pretty much invented sports drinks, and his impassioned evaluation of running is very emotional.



I bet there are a million other videos that have a similar effect on you - please leave their details for me!

I hope all this is helpful.


No comments:

Post a Comment