Friday 15 April 2016

Life in the slow lane

An update must surely be in order, just in time for a major milestone - my very first triathlon this weekend.
I can't say I feel terribly fit, but I have stepped up the training and so should be ticking along in all three disciplines.  I have done very little speed work, but there is plenty of time for that.  A key strategy for me has been not to worry about being a contender and thus not worry whether I have carried out the right type of training - it's all about the long haul. I'm doing these early events just to get experience and have fun.

Swimming - getting better, due to going for a swim at least twice a week aong with attending classes with a coach who does proper drills and offers loads of guidance.  I haven't got the nerve up to ask her to coach me on a 1:1 basis yet, but I will.  At least I know the importance of the turns, have mastered bilateral breathing and have bought a proper lycra swimming costume (apparently called jammers...).

On top of this I have bought a wet suit!  Field testing in the sea will take place next week, so I can get used to being battered around a choppy swell, hyperventilating due to the cold.

Running - I have dropped the knee brace for a while - short flat distances seem ok so long as I keep my stance efficient.

Cycling - well, no real training, but I have done some rides, including some fairly hard ones with the tri club.

Bricks - despite Linkedin repeatedly sending me details of vacancies for construction lecturers I am not changing career direction.  Bricks are a way of taking a perfectly pleasant morning and completely ruining it - push two training sessions together like twin single beds and watch in mock horror as I come back soaked from a 60 mile bike ride, immediately jump into cycling shorts, scoff half a banana and then waddle out for an hour's run.  Oh, and the third discipline - sleep all afternoon.

Transitions - I found out at the Burnham aquathlon that putting a shirt on is a stupid idea when you are wet - at the Tewkesbury aquathlon I wore a tri suit and sped up considerably, right from the lower third of the field to the upper third.  Likewise the very distinctive pleasures of elastic laces.  I have ordered some for this Sunday but they haven't arrived yet - I'll be hovering at my letterbox tomorrow morning to see if they come.

The St Peter's Hospice sportive a couple of weekends ago - 75km, very nice, but tempered somewhat by a recent bout of norovirus.  I hadn't eaten all week but made a point of keeping well stocked up throughout the ride.  £1,000 raised for the hospice, plus two radio interviews.

Next? Another sprint tri followed the next week by a much longer one.  Oh, goodness the months are just shooting along!


Next next?  Next next next?  Yep, the big thing, raising more money for the hospice.  I am pushing at work and hoping the college will support me.  I am also going to start contacting corporate sponsors. 

In the meantime, please consider making a donation yourself by clicking here;  St Peter's Hospice

No comments:

Post a Comment