Tuesday 1 April 2014

Bats

I went out for a brief jog this evening, partially because the clocks had changed, partly because I needed to unravel my head from the day, partly because it was actually warm and I could wear shorts, and partly because I just wanted to.  Let's hope it was the sum of all those parts.

Anyway, through the plantation and down to Gatcombe in order to cross the road to return via the field where the scary cows someimes live.  I rolled past Gatcombe (which for the uninitiated is a farm with a farm shop and sunday-lunch-type cafe in, although how they call it a farm shop when most of the produce is imported and in poor condition I don't know), and curved up the lane to what we locals laughingly call the main road (two cars a minute).
I was suddenly drawn to a halt by the unmistakable flitting of a bat; it dipped and circled above my head; disappearing, only to reappear in another part of the sky.  I was very surprised to see it, given it is the beginning of April and I felt it was scarcely warm enough for bats.  However, my pleasure was gilded by another bat joining the first in an airborne conversation.

For reasons that have now left me I decided that I had the capacity to attract bats by drawing air in through my teeth and lower lip to produce a high pitched sound that would surely prove alluring.  What actually happened was the Chiropterid version of 'wtf is that?'  'No idea; let's fly out of here before it gets really annoying'.  And with that they left.
Not much of a bat-whisperer.

No comments:

Post a Comment