Sunday 15 May 2016

Cotswold standard distance triathlon

Don't you get bored of hearing people's accounts of races that start at the begining, and recount the whole day right to pulling up outside their house afterward?  Well, here's another one!  No, I will try to reflect on the event in order of significance rather than chronological order - and if it doesn't work I won't do it again.

Most importantly, I completed the swim, 1,500m in a lake - not last, pretty much at the back, but very comfortable.  My main issue was boredom to be honest; the only thing you get to look at is murky water and the occasional smeary image of a yellow buoy.  Sound is virtually non-existent, although the taste of the water is entertaining, especially when swimming behind someone.  Anyway, I tootled along, refusing to put pressure on myself, and as a result smashed up a huge psychological barrier to the Brecon Titan - I now know I will be able to swim that.

Another significance was the number of people who wanted to talk to me about my fundraising.  I suppose that really means they were willing to listen in the first place as I brought the subject up.  I was approached on the finish line by one of the organisers as they had asked people to give a little information about themselves and she wanted to know more of my story.  So, yet again I found myself being photographed at a sporting event with my hair stuck up by wind and sweat.  And then, as I was wearing a hospice running vest, a St Peter's Hospice nurse introduced herself to me!  Oh, busy me.


Cycling.  Supposed to be my strength.  Well, not today.  I had little strength in my legs until the last 10 miles by which time it was too late.  I don't know why, but I do know that when people start slowing down I can keep powering through.  I suspect overtraining, as I was cramping in the water before the cycling started and had felt crampy yesterday.

The sun - oh, the sun! The thought of competing in an event like that in driving rain is off-putting to say the least.  I am grateful that so far, all three of the tri's I have done, have been in clear brght weather.  I got a cup of tea afterwards and just basked by the car.  In fact, I scared some passing dog-walkers by doing a little impromptu yoga, then drove home playing reggae very loudly.

Running proved to be slightly better than the cycling; I felt fairly good and overtook a good number of people.  The same applied as the cycling; the more tired people are the more I start to overtake.  I therefore need to work on speed rather than endurance.

The other thing I need to work on is transitions with a wetsuit.  I did the sort of change that people put on You-Tube, flailing around as if I was wrestling with a huge octopus.  Eventually I gave up, sat down and peeled the bloody thing off, wasting at least a minute.  I know what to do, but the wetsuit was in a contrary mood.

So, to sum up in a chronologically final sort of way; I had a great time, I was so much more comfortable competing, and got a bit sunburnt.  Oh, and when I got back, next-door were having a barbecue and I sat and had a cheeky cider with them.  Quality.

swim - 152nd       cycle - 45th          run - 48th      Out of 185 finishers, but a more serious level than last week.  Oh, and 5th gnarly supervet.

No comments:

Post a Comment