Wednesday 15 June 2016

The Final Countdown

Seven months ago I entered the Brecon Titan Triathlon, six months ago I started training, and in two days time I will be competing in it.
I have swum enough to (nearly) look as if I know what I am doing, the running has taken a back seat in order to give me time to swim, and the cycling has followed the running if I am honest. No, I have actually trained, sometimes twice per day, sometimes not at all, but I have trained.  I have lost 8lb, plus £150 on a wetsuit that gets damaged very time I use it.  I have found lakes in the Bristol area, got up at 6am for a swimming session, and already raced in four triathlons and three aquathlons.

So, the big day is creeping up on me - time to assess;

I have a throat infection, my right shoulder and hip have both locked up, I am tired to the point of dropping off at work, and the gears don't work properly on my bike.  In compensation, I have at least one person willing to come out and shout at me with the unequivocal voice of support, and the promise of a party when I get home.

OK, so I don't feel too sharp, what about strategies?  Well, clearly surviving the swim is a major target.  If I can get through that without dropping out I will be able to catch up a bit on the bike, and the run will be just a case of survival.  I console myself with the thought that if I start drowning a canoeist will catch me, plus the added unknown of an Aussie exit - it is a two lap swim, and at the end of the first lap you run out of the water, around a marker and then back in for the second half.  I don't know whether this is good or bad, so it makes sense to go for bad.
Food will be carried and supplied - no danger of going under fueled.  I will also carry a repair kit and pump.

I always vowed to aim just to complete, but as time went on I wanted to get in the top half, then top third.  Now, I am back to just completing; although there is a King of the Mountain section that might just be something to go for.

Talk about all in the mind!!  I have to say I am anticipating this event to the point of shitting myself.  OK so the running and cycling are ok, but the swimming is a whole other story.  I am using the age-old trick of looking over the top of the triathlon to my first beer in the evening, and aim to ignore the event even when doing it.  Well, the swimming at least.

Please remember why I am doing this - it is all about raising money for the hospice.  If you haven't done so, please click on the button top right and make a donation so I can pay the hospice back for all the care and attention lavished on Karin when she felt lower than anyone has a rght to be.  Please share this with your friends too - the more the merrier

1 comment: